DD- A Pre-Auction Review
The Delhi Daredevils are a team I’ve been wanting to talk about for quiet a while now. They are probably the team that benefited the most from the auction and trading window from last year. They beefed up their batting unit, and managed to storm into the semis of the IPL, where a stupid-looking decision of opting to leave Morne Morkel out cost them a place in the finals. When the DD squad for the CLT20 was announced, many eyebrows were raised as Pawan Negi was the sole full-time spinner in the side. However, their decision to play 4 pacers on the rain-soaked tracks of South Africa paid of wonderfully as they became the second Indian team to beat an Australian side in CLT20 history and, were the only team to qualify for the semifinals. Unfortunately the Highveld Lions showed no mercy as they beat DD clinically in the finals. Now we ask the question: what do Delhi need? Well, here are some points about their squad:
- Their spin attack is inexperienced, meaning that they can be taken on.
- Sehwag wasn’t in his best form in Delhi’s last few games.
- The fast bowling seems to suffer in the absence of Morne Morkel
Looking at that, we can say that what they need in the auctions is either a strong spinner, or a fast bowler. A good buy might be Moises Henriques, as he can hit some shots down the order, and provide some good bowling. Andre Russel was decent for Delhi, but having another fast bowling option as a reserve might prove to be more helpful. For example, someone like Dirk Nannes or Charl Langedveldt could do good for the Daredevils. For the spinning option, Aaron Phangiso could do some good.
- Virender Sehwag
- Mahela Jaywardene (c)
- Kevin Pietersen
- Unmukt Chand
- Ross Taylor
- Naman Ojha
- Irfan Pathan
- Ajit Agarkar
- Pawan Negi
- Morne Morkel
- Umesh Yadav
- If extra spinner is needed: Nadeem comes in for Agarkar/Yadav (overseas- Aaron Phangiso comes in for Ross Taylor
- If extra pacer is needed, Nannes comes in for Taylor, Nagar comes in for Agarkar/Yadav
- If an extra all-rounder is needed, Henriques comes in for Taylor